Country Roads of Southern Italy and Sicily (Preview 2019)
About Palermo, Italy
Additional Included Highlights
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum as well as other medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered through the city. Visit St Peter's Basilica.
- Sorrento: See the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuius. Witness the art of intarsio wood inlaying.
- Matera: Mel Gibson chose this town as the setting for his film 'The Passion of the Christ.'
- Castellaneta: See the picturesque Great Ravine.
- Taormina: Visit the courtyard of Palazzo Corvaja, seat of the first Sicilian parliament, and stroll along Corso Umberto to Piazza IX Aprile.
- Straits of Messina: Cross to Sicily by ferry.
- Agrigento: See the massive Temple of Concord and clifftop Temple of Juno.
- Palermo: See Quattro Canti Square. Visit Palermo Cathedral.
- Scenic Drives: Bay of Naples, Apennines, Calabria mountains, Sorrento cliff top road, Capri corniche.
- Alberobello: Meet the owner of Trattoria Terra Madre, who will share his philosophy of using only organic, seasonal produce that he grows himself. See Nonna making orecchiette pasta, before savouring the fresh flavours of your Farm-to-Table Highlight Dinner.
- Taormina Riviera: Choose from our handpicked selection of local restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening, each with its own ambience and distinctive cuisine.
- Palermo: At a local restaurant, enjoy fresh, rustic dishes served with local wine at your Celebration Dinner.
- Included Quality Dining: 13 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 7 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Rome: Explore the backstreets of Rome and experience local life, alongside a passionate Roman who will explain how modern life takes place around ancient treasures like the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona, the Living Room of Rome.
- Vatican City: Gain VIP access to the Vatican Museums and be among the select few to admire the famous Bramante Staircase. Admire the Popes’ treasure-trove and witness the genius of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel.
- Pompeii: Walk with a Local Expert through the cobbled streets of this ill-fated town.
Stay at the Best Addresses
- Alberobello: The Grand Hotel La Chiusa di Chietri is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the scenic surroundings.
- Taormina Riviera: Overlooking the Ionian Sea, the Hilton Giardini Naxos boasts traditional Mediterranean hospitality and fabulous rooms and facilities.
Top Rated Highlights
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Vatican City: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Vatican City: Venture inside St. Peter's Basilica and see Michelangelo's Pietà, and the splendid dome.
- Isle of Capri: Cruise to this famous isle and in the style of the jet-set, enjoy a ride by open-top taxi. Your Local Expert will show you around the narrow alleyways and exclusive boutiques.
- Sorrento: Perched upon the cliffs, lookout to see the mighty Mount Vesuvious across the Bay of Naples.
- Matera: Visit this UNESCO World Heritage Site and see famous Sassi or cave dwellings, which were home to about 20,000 people until 1950.
- Matera: With your Local Expert explore this town that Mel Gibson chose as the setting for his film 'The Passion of the Christ.'
- Alberobello: With your Local Expert, explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site showcasing the Trulli of Alberobello. Circular structures with conical roofs that are domed within, built from local limestone and stacked without using mortar.
- Straits of Messina: Cross to Sicily by ferry.
- Taormina Riviera: Visit the ancient Greek Theatre with your Local Expert. Set on a cliff, open to the sky, take your seats and enjoy the view through the crumbling arches to snowy Mount Etna.
- Taormina Riviera: During your orientation with your Travel Director, visit the courtyard of Palazzo Corvaja, seat of the first Sicilian parliament, and stroll along Corso Umberto to Piazza IX Aprile.
- Agrigento: A Local Expert will lead you through the magnificent remains of the Greek colony in the Valley in the Temples. See the massive Temple of Concord and clifftop Temple of Juno.
- Palermo: With a local historian, see the Teatro Massimo en route to Quattro Canti Square to glimpse the Fountain of Shame. Visit Palermo Cathedral and walk through the Palace of the Normans to stand in the jewel-like Palatine chapel for an up-close look at some of the finest examples of Norman art.
- Scenic Drives: Admire the beauty of southern Italy as you travel along the Bay of Naples, past the Apennines and Calabria mountains, along Sorrento cliff top road and Capri corniche and later see the picturesque Great Ravine of Catellaneta.
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.